||Date Flask Item 1644|
Check Box for engraving
Mid 1st Century Mold Blown Date Flask
Ancient glass makers discovered that metallic oxides added in the right proportions produced glass of various tints and colors:
- Greens and Aqua usually have iron
- Amber/Brown small amounts of iron & sulfur
- Lead Antimony produces yellow
- Light blues require copper
- Brilliant Yellow/Green glass has Uranium
- Dark Blues require small quantities of cobalt
- Amethyst glass contains manganese
- Opaque White contains either tin or calcium
- Reddish colors require Selenium
- Some Reds or Pinks may even have a bit of gold
This flask probably included a stopper and lanyard for carrying.
Flasks of this type were used as containers for fragrant oils and other products.